The Dark Artifices
Cassandra Clare has confirmed that she has signed on to do another Shadowhunter trilogy – lucky us!
There isn’t a huge amount of information on the trilogy as of yet, but what we can gather from Cassie and other sources is right here on this page.
What we know:
- The book is set in the Los Angeles Institute, 5 years after the events of The Mortal Instruments: City of Heavenly Fire (the final book in the TMI series).
- The main characters are Emma Carstairs, Julian Blackthorn, Christina Rosales, Mark Blackthorn, Helen, Olivia and more (mostly Julian’s family members but a lot more characters for us to meet and fall in love with)
- The three books are called Lady Midnight (#1), Prince of Shadows (#2) and The Queen of Air and Darkness (#3)
- The book description for Lady Midnight is as follows:
“Los Angeles, 2012. It’s been five years since the events of the Mortal Instruments when Nephilim stood poised on the brink of oblivion and Shadowhunter Emma Carstairs lost her parents. After the blood and violence she witnessed as a child, Emma has dedicated her life to the eradication of demons and being the best, fastest and deadliest Shadowhunter since Jace Lightwood. Raised in the Los Angeles Institute, Emma is paired as a parabatai with her best friend, Julian. As Emma hunts those who caused the death of her parents, the trail they’re following leads back to those they’ve always been taught to trust. At the same time, Emma is falling in love with Julian — her closest friend and, because he is her parabatai, the one person in the world she’s absolutely forbidden by Shadowhunter Law to love. Set against the glittering backdrop of present-day Los Angeles, Emma must learn to trust her head and her heart as she investigates a demonic plot that stretches from the warlock-run nightclubs of the Sunset Strip to the enchanted sea that pounds the beaches of Santa Monica.”
Sounds good, right?
You may be thinking, what else do we know?
Well, you’re in luck because below is everything we know, taken straight from Cassie Clare!
- The main female protagonist’s name is Emma, the main male protagonist’s name is Julian. They are both Shadowhunters. They both have always known they are Shadowhunters. There is love, magic, romantic confusion, etc. and so on. I have not sold these books; I haven’t written any of them, I won’t until I’m done with what I’m writing now. So I don’t have a pub date beyond “after CoHF”, and I have other, non-Shadowhunter projects I’m also planning on. But thanks for being so interested, everyone! * Since it takes place 5 years after the end of CoHF it is reasonable to assume that surviving characters from TMI will make cameos. They will be in their early twenties so you’ll get to see what they’re up to in their more adult lives. If I did Dark Artifices, the surviving main cast of TMI would be 21-24 years old. We would see where they are in life, where their relationships are, how they’re moving into their positions of power in the Clave, etc…
- Also, if you are curious about the characters from TDA, look out for characters either in or mentioned in CoLS and CoHF who might be 11, 12, 13 years old. (As five years later, they will be sixteen, seventeen, and eighteen.)Now, this is all speculation. I do enjoy writing in the world of the Shadowhunters and I think there are infinite stories to tell in it. I also think that there are stories I would like to tell that are not necessarily about Shadowhunters. It is just a matter of what order I write what in.
- There will be LBGT characters in this book – just like in TMI.
Here Cassie spoke to Entertainment Weekly about The Dark Artifices:
“The Dark Artifices takes place in Los Angeles, and it’s really a direct outcome of what happens in the sixth Mortal Instruments book, City of Heavenly Fire, which is pretty much that the Shadowhunters’ whole world has changed forever—the way the Nephilim live and they way that they operate. The next generation of Shadowhunters is going to grow up in a very strange world. I wanted to write about that and those kids. In The Dark Artifices Jace and Clary are going to be intertwined too, but as slightly more distant figures who are very famous in the Shadowhunting world to this new generation of kids. The new generation of kids have this whole new set of problems. And it has many of the elements that I always love: humor and romance. I wanted to take the Shadowhunter world and work a really fundamental change on it, so that when I was writing the new series it would have a different feel to it.”
Sounds exciting! Lets hope that it’s just as good as both TMI and TID!
We are always excited for new adventures with Shadowhunters involved and we can’t wait to find out what Cassie has in store for us with this new trilogy.
Let us know in the comments below what you think so far of The Dark Artifices!